PICOTTE'S HISTORY IN BRIEF

susan_picotte1.gif
1993-2014
 
Picotte Elementary School opened its doors for the first time in the fall of 1992. We began our first year in a rental building at 1312 Robertson Drive because our permanent structure was still under construction. On March 25, 1993, we moved to our brand new building at 14506 Ohio St.
 
 
feather.gif
 

Our school was named for Dr. Susan La Fleshe Picotte. Dr. Picotte was a member of the Omaha Indian Tribe and a significant contributor to the cultural and life experiences of  many Nebraska citizens.  She was the first Native American woman to become a doctor.

 

Grants have allowed Picotte to create a butterfly garden which provides field experiences for our students in many areas of science.  During the 2013 school year, both of our playground areas were updated and improved with a coordination of support from our PTA, Student Council and a Grant. 

Our students proudly represent Picotte at a variety of competitions.  Fourth graders participate in the building and District Spelling Bee.  They also prepare and participate in the Read to Succeed competition.  Our Third and Fourth graders design, build and compete in robotics tournaments throughout the city.  All grade levels participate in an Art competition sponsored by the Audubon Society.

 

Picotte began a partnership in 2012 with the Omaha Schools Foundation to  offer a Parent Paid Pre-K classroom.  The program is offered at four sites throughout the Omaha Public Schools.  We are thrilled to have two of the five classrooms at Picotte.   

 

Beginning the 2014 school year, Picotte is configured as a Pre-K through Fourth Grade building.  We are proud to be the home to 450 students. 

 

We are proud of our school and invite you to visit.

 

Click signature for additional history.